What Happens When You Don’t Get Enough Sleep?
Proper sleep is essential. Due to the long working hours, sleep patterns are hampered, creating many health problems.
Table of Contents
Those who don’t take proper sleep may feel sleepy during work while driving the car, or during the day, when they feel lethargic.
Adults must take sleep for at least more than 7 hours. If you are not one of them then you must pay attention as it leads to problems.
Lack of sleep problems
- Your mind will not be relaxed and it will directly affect the work as a result anger, and depression will take occur which leads to many other health problems.
- Memory weakens as a result of which even we tend to forget the daily routine which further goes can lead to dementia.
- Metabolism is affected, leading to fat deposition in the body.
- Even less sleep for just one day increases insulin resistance, that is, the amount of shale in the blood increases.
There is also a negative effect on the stomach and digestion and due to this tension increases.
Hormones become unbalanced, due to which there are many hormonal problems like thyroid and PCOD in women.
How to sleep well?
- Make a proper sleep pattern to sleep and wake up:
Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, including on the weekends (Ref. CDC)
- Avoid coffee, tea, or cold drink during sleep time:
As it will energize you and you will feel active.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking:
Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime.
It hinders sleep.
- Limit the use of electric gadgets during sleep time:
Television, light, and music effects proper sleep. Light affects the secretion of the melatonin hormone which is essential for good sleep.
Stop using laptops and mobile phones before one hour of sleep.
- Take a walk before sleeping:
Light walking before going to bed is relaxing and getting some exercise during the daytime results in good sleep at night.
Physical activities during the day can help you fall asleep more easily at night.
- Take a balanced nutritious diet:
Almonds, turkey, chamomile tea, kiwi, tart cherry juice, fatty fish, walnuts, passionflower tea, malted milk, and nighttime milk, nuts are some items to include in your diet.
- Bedroom should be calm, dark, relaxing, and at a moderate temperature:
This helps in relaxing your mind and you will get better sleep.
How many hours of sleep is essential?
|Age group recommended||Recommended amount of sleep|
|3 to 5 years||10 to 13 hours per 24 hours, including naps|
|6 to 12 years||9 to 12 hours per 24 hours|
|13 to 18 years||8 to 10 hours per 24 hours|
|Adults||7 or more hours a night|
Which sleeping position is best?
According to a study sleeping on the back is the best position which offers a lot of health benefits.
It cushions your spine, and it can also help reduce hip and knee pain.
When you sleep on your back it uses gravity and keeps your body in an even alignment over your spine.
This helps in reducing any unnecessary pressure on your back or joints.
Which vitamins supplement helps with sleep?
Magnesium also reduces insomnia. It’s the most generally recommended supplement for anxiety.
Herbs to aid sleep
- Valerian root
According to a 2013 review, the herb named Valerian root is popularly used to reduce insomnia.
Chamomile is the most natural remedy for sleeplessness.
Lavender is considered the most common herb for aiding relaxation and sleep.
It brings good sleep by relaxing.
- Meditation: It relaxes the mind and continuous chanting gives peace.
- Happy Baby Pose: It relaxes body parts below the hips and waist.
For this lie down straight. Fold both your legs from your knees and keep your knees close to your chest.
Hold your feet with help of your palms.
Press and take your knees apart on side of your chest.
This exercise relaxes your shoulder and mind. Hold this position for 30 sec.
Every problem has a solution. Lack of sleep has many poor effects on our bodies.
It affects us mentally and physically.
So, start making changes from today only and follow the tips and exercises given above for enhancing good sleep.