How To Reduce Hair Fall After Delivery?
Why should new moms take special care of hair?
Table of Contents
Most new moms face hair loss and this hair loss mounts about 4 months after giving birth. After a year usually most women regain their normal hair growth and if not then you must visit a dermatologist and start using some measures.
Being a new mother means going through a lot of changes, physical and mental as well. Lack of sleep, paying less attention to nutrition due to the undivided attention you shower on your newborn, and many other factors are responsible for hair fall.
The major reasons for hair fall at this time are hormonal changes that the body undergoes during pregnancy. The main pregnancy hormone like estrogen, progesterone, and oxytocin level increases to facilitate the baby’s growth and delivery. The spike in these hormones leads to hair fall.
When the hormone level settles down, hair fall stops. Generally, hormone level falls within 24 hours of delivery but other factors like poor blood circulation and nutrition may add a reason for hair fall.
Reasons for hair fall
Some prominent reasons for hair fall are
1. Hormonal shift:
- When the levels of estrogen and progesterone drop, hair grows more slowly and becomes much thinner.
- A decrease in these hormones also triggers an increase in the production of androgens; or a group of male hormones.
- Androgens shrink hair follicles, resulting in hair loss on the head.
2. Health issues (like thyroid, iron deficiency, etc):
- Low iron causes low ferritin, a blood protein associated with hair growth.
- Thyroid issues also cause low ferritin, which means you’ll want to get your ferritin and iron levels checked at the same time as your thyroid.
- Make sure you are getting enough protein, as protein is a building block for hair.
3. Stress or trauma:
- Persistent stress affects health. It is also one reason for hair loss as it pushes large numbers of hair follicles into a resting phase.
- Within a few months, affected hairs might fall out suddenly when simply combing or washing your hair.
- The genes for hair loss itself are passed down from both sides of the family.
5. Poor nutrition:
- Low protein intake in the diet leads to hair thinning and hair loss.
- Your hair needs amino acids, the building blocks of protein, to grow properly, so a diet without enough protein may lead to hair growth abnormalities, such as hair loss and thin, brittle hair.
Try these simple hair care tips
Using some easily available natural ingredients on hair can help you to get rid of hair loss. Some of them are:
- Curry Leaves:
Curry leaves are loaded with amino acids, antioxidants, and various essential nutrients, which help to stimulate hair growth, reduce hair fall, and strengthen the hair follicle.
Boil half a cup of coconut oil with half a cup of curry leaves. Cool and strain the oil and massage the scalp.
- Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek seeds can treat hair fall naturally and it also helps to get rid of dandruff.
Soak ¼ teaspoon of fenugreek seeds overnight and strain the water in the morning. Spray or apply this water to your head and allow it to stay for a couple of hours and rinse.
This can be done every alternate day.
- Aloe Vera:
Take fresh gel and apply it over the scalp; leave it for a few minutes, then wash it off. It is a cooling and soothing scalp cleanser, good for a heated-up scalp, associated with redness, itching, rashes, or scalp pimples.
Of course, there is no end to the wonders yogurt can do to your overall health, especially to your hair. It helps in promoting hair follicle health and preventing hair fall.
Just mix two tablespoons of yogurt with one tablespoon of honey and lemon and apply it to the scalp and hair roots taking the help of a brush.
Leave it on for about half an hour and rinse off with normal water. It is recommended to use this pack once a week.
- Onion Juice:
Some of us despise onions for their smell but keep on reading, and they might end up becoming a favorite of yours!
Onion juice successfully treat patchy Alopecia Areata by promoting hair growth and improving circulation!
It is simple to apply as well – blend a few onions and squeeze out the juice, apply the juice to your scalp, and hair, leave it in for 15-20 minutes, then rinse it off and shampoo your hair as usual.
What can you include in your diet ?
- Add more protein to your diet
The diet should also be nutrient-rich.
Unnecessary calorie count restrictions sometimes lead to less nutrition intake which results in hair fall.
You must take 40-60 gm of protein in your daily diet. Include eating beans, eggs, Greek yogurt, and legumes.
- Add vitamins
Vitamins like A, B, C, D, E and zinc, and iron are responsible for hair growth. Add them to your diet in a sufficient amount.
- It is good to follow the Mediterranean diet
When you restrict yourself from eating for a low-calorie count then you may lose some vitamins and protein.
The Mediterranean diet includes fruits, vegetables, and proteins which are very beneficial for the health of hair follicles and surprisingly reduce hair loss.
Avoid excessive styling: Using excessive heating tools for styling, or tieing hairs tightly leads to hair loss.
Avoid chemicals: Using too much of hair chemicals on your hair like hair colors, hair sprays, and bleaching will cause damage to your hair which is irreversible.
Can hair loss be recovered?
Without delay, if you can identify the cause then it can be treated as well by following the above measures.
Like if it is caused due to nutritional loss or due to stress, hormonal imbalance, or some medication it can be reversed but if it is hereditary or alopecia then it can’t be reversed.
Yes, false hairs like wigs, hair grafting etc. other techniques are available.
Remember, hairs usually recover within 4 to 6 months if handled with care. With this in mind, keep following the nutrient rich diet, avoid styling products and chemicals, along with hair care tips for better results.