Is Spanish Rice Healthy: Learn All About It Here
Now you have a boring attitude toward traditional white rice recipes.
Table of Contents
- Do you want to turn towards Mexican Rice but need clarification about whether it is healthy?
Don’t worry; we will familiarize you with Mexican rice recipes and their health benefits.
It will only be your cup of tea to know the health benefits of Mexican rice if you have yet to learn what it is. So, let’s start with some information about Mexican rice.
- Mexican rice, also famous as Spanish or Red Rice, is not a new genus or hybrid but a bowl of regular white rice with a unique flavor.
The white rice is boiled and then mixed with a blend of onion, garlic, tomatoes, and cumin.
- This Mexican side dish is a way to add a new taste to white rice to be used with other delicious dishes like steaks, fajitas, and others.
These rice are famous in the United States and central and north Mexico. The rice originates from a Spanish cousin (Spanish Rice) brought to the United States by Spanish people.
- Mexican food is popularly known for its spicy, rich, flavorful, and tempting taste.
Mexican rice is mostly included in Mexican cuisine and is generally served with tortillas, meat, beans, and cheese.
Fresh herbs, chilies, and spices are used to add to the flavor of Mexican rice and make it more tempting.
- In a Mexican restaurant, Mexican rice is also served with sweet and sticky foods like enchiladas and flan which make it more delicious.
Is Mexican Rice Healthy?
Sadly, rice is considered a simple carbohydrate. Most people are not aware of the fact that the rice that they consume daily is the worst.
- Mexican rice is nothing else but a healthy diet. It has a balanced quantity of macronutrients and essential vitamins.
Mexican rice is much healthier and more nutritious than regular rice. It is rich in fiber, nutrients, and protein.
- Most importantly, Mexican rice contains beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant
For people who love to eat Mexican rice, it is good to understand that rice can actually help you to lose weight.
- Mexican rice is the grain form of brown rice that is prepared in the Mexican style and often presented in various ways.
Like other fruits and vegetables high in fiber, Mexican rice is a good source of dietary fiber.
One and a half cups (1.5 cups) of Mexican rice have:
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 4 grams
- Proteins: 5 grams
- Dietary fiber: 1 gram
- Total sugar: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30 grams
- Calcium: 17 mg
- Potassium: 193 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
Health Benefits of Mexican Rice
Source of vitamins
- A new addition to the vitamin-C-rich family is Mexican rice. One serving of Mexican rice provides about 27-28 mg of vitamin C.
Spanish or red rice has a surprisingly high content of vitamin C that helps the body fight against infections. It boosts the immune system against many degenerative diseases.
- Why not turn your kids to Mexican rice instead of forcing them to eat vitamin C-rich veggies and fruits?
- Mexican rice is a rich source of minerals and vitamins. Being rich in calcium, potassium, and iron, these rice will provide your body extra strength and energy.
Calcium is essential for kids and youngsters to build bones and teeth. In old age, bones weaken, so eating Mexican rice will be a great source of bone density.
- When we talk about potassium, it supports the cardiovascular system and lessens the risk of degenerative diseases.
- Tomato sauce and green peppers are good sources of vitamins A and B. When mixed with rice to make Mexican rice, it becomes rich in vitamins A and B.
Vitamin A promotes the body’s health and functioning. It is very beneficial for the eye’s health.
- Also, Mexican rice has other nutrients like thiamine, niacin, and folate.
Good source of iron
- Iron- an essential mineral for blood promotes red blood cell formation and makes the body energetic.
The mineral and vitamin content is beneficial for kids to develop organs and improve health.
- Mexican rice is rich in iron. The iron-rich foods prevent anemia, weakness, and fatigue.
Helps in weight loss
- White rice is full of starch and carbohydrates. These refined grain-rich foods may add to body fat deposits when cooked in oil or fat.
Despite this, Mexican rice is a good option for diet-conscious people. Red rice has minimum fat and cholesterol content when mixed with onion, garlic, and tomato.
- It is advised to turn to Mexican rice in your weight loss journey as it will reduce appetite and hunger pans. Include this calorie-free diet with other fruits and vegetables in your daily schedule.
Builds nerves health
- Mexican rice improves nerve health. This rice is an excellent source of choline which improves cell health.
Choline enhances the communication between nerves and the brain. One serving of Mexican rice provides 9.5-97mg of calories.
- Thus, having Mexican rice at your dining table is a good use of money.
Mexican Rice – An Important Source of Energy
Like other grains, Mexican rice is a good source of carbohydrates, fiber, and protein.
- It is a complex carbohydrate that provides a steady source of energy during the day.
In addition, it is a good source of B vitamins, magnesium, iron, and zinc.
- Include Brown Mexican rice in your diet. This rice is a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
Consuming this rice is not only tasty but also good for your health.
Method To Prepare Mexican Rice
It’s a very popular side dish along with tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and more.
It’s sold in different forms like prepared, canned, frozen, and dehydrated.
It is so simple. You need to follow the following steps (Spanish Rice Recipe)
- Take a large skillet or deep pan. Heat the oil in it.
- Add onion and garlic in oil and cook them.
- Add white rice and cook with continuous stirring until slightly brown.
- Blend tomatoes, onion, cumin, and broth and mix them with rice.
- Cover the skillet and allow it to cook at low flame.
- Cover it with an airtight lid and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- When all liquid is absorbed, remove it from the stove and serve it to your family.
A few ways you can incorporate Mexican rice in your diet are:
- Add it to your tacos, enchiladas, or burritos.
- Make a Mexican rice salad.
- Add it to your breakfast menu along with eggs and beans.
How To Choose The Right Mexican Rice Recipe?
When it comes to choosing the right Mexican rice recipe, you have to see that there are a lot of Mexican rice recipes out there.
However, their ingredients are slightly different from each other. While some may contain much vinegar, others do not.
When it comes to choosing the right Mexican rice recipe, here are the following things you should focus on while selecting healthy recipes:
- Choosing Rice
Brown rice, white rice, organic rice, basmati rice, brown rice syrup, sweet rice, brown basmati rice, long grain rice, and sushi rice are some of the rice you can choose from to make Mexican rice.
- Stuffed Peppers and Mexican Rice
A healthier version of the classic chicken enchiladas is what you are going to get by filling bell pepper with Mexican rice, for a Mexican-style dinner.
- Mexican Rice and Beans
Take some Mexican rice and go with beans for a healthy dinner. Warm up the rice using a slow cooker and enjoy them with a salsa of your choice.
- Combine Mexican Rice and Egg
If you are looking for a light dinner option with Mexican rice, boil an egg and have it with the rice.
- Mexican Rice and Cheese
Another light dinner idea is Mexican rice with cheese.
- Mexican Rice and Spinach
Prepare Mexican rice with spinach to make sure you get your greens.
- Mexican Rice and Corn
Another great combination you can make with your rice is with corn.
- Mexican Rice and Chicken
This combination is really popular in the States. There are many health benefits of eating rice and chicken.
First, rice is gluten-free. This is an advantage for those who are following a gluten-free diet. It is also known that rice does not have any cholesterol.
You should know that lean chicken is rich in protein and is really good for your body.
- Protein has the ability to prevent fatigue, boost energy levels and help build muscle.
Also, lean chicken is a source of iron that helps boost your body`s hemoglobin levels.
It is a fact that protein takes longer to digest, and thus helps keep you fuller longer.
Additionally, this protein helps build muscle and aids in faster recovery after workouts.
- Important thing to notice
- Rice is a grain that contains complex carbohydrates.
For people who are concerned about their weight, it is great to know that complex carbohydrates do not easily convert into fat.
The complex carbs in rice also keep your body healthy.
- Always remember to incorporate rice dish with healthy options like chicken broth or grilled chicken, cooking rice with olive oil, tomato paste, black beans, or pinto beans, etc.
Can I use Mexican rice in the weight loss journey?
It does not matter if you use Mexican rice or white rice. The actual thing is to reduce your calorie intake healthily.
Mexican or boiled rice with veggies or onion is a good source of weight loss.
Brown rice cooked in oil are rich in carbohydrates and fats, whereas Mexican rice is a low-calorie diet, so a diet-conscious person must add Mexican rice to his daily diet.
What is the optimum quantity of Mexican rice per person?
One serving of Mexican rice is suitable for a diet-conscious person. Also, one can take two servings, but eating more than two is not recommended.
One serving ranges between 1 large cup and one and a half medium cups.
Mexican rice, rich in onion and garlic, is a good source of healthy nutrients. It boosts the immune system against many harmful diseases.
- Choosing a healthy diet like Mexican rice is a good idea.
It will improve your health and calorie intake.
- So the answer is yes. Yes, it is a healthy diet. One can quickly try it at home and can store it easily.