You are new to dragon fruit and curious about its health impact and how to cut it before eating.
Table of Contents
Get ready to learn the basics about the benefits and cutting dragon fruit to help you enjoy this tremendous exotic fruit.
Most people still need to learn about dragon fruits. The interesting latest addition to the fruit family, similar to the kiwi, belongs to the tropical family.
Getting popularity with two other names (pitahaya or strawberry peer), the Dragon fruit provides a lot of health benefits because of its antioxidant contents.
The sweet whitish pulp enriched fresh fruit with pinkish or red skin though exotic but not as simpler to eat as other oldest fruits like apple, guava, mango, etc.
It demands a particular cutting pattern to have its full flavor. The three most valuable methods are cutting the fruit in half, quarterly cutting, and making small pieces into cubes.
How these methods will work need a detailed discussion. This article will help you go through how to cut Dragon fruit, at which stage to cut and eat, and its beneficial impact on health.
What is dragon fruit?
Are you getting curious about the vibrant-colored tropical fruit named Dragon?
Yes, the word “Dragon’ has been allocated to this fruit because of its Dragon like exterior with oval-shaped scales that extend like Dragon’s fangs; the tree is also known as “Dragon tree.”
Dragon fruit is called “Pitaya” and some also called it a “Strawberry Pear” due to its color and shape resemblance.
The beautiful tropical fruit originates from Central America and Southern Mexico under the cactus species. The three common varieties are:
- White Dragon (with white flesh).
- Red Dragon (with red flesh).
- Yellow dragon fruit (with yellow flesh).
The inner flesh has tiny black seeds. Sometimes given a combo of watermelon and kiwi flavor, one may enjoy a more sweet flavor than that of kiwi fruit alone.
Due to its increasing demand and high cost, domestic harvesting is being done worldwide.
Growing dragon fruit in Southeast Asia and South America is very common these days.
How to cut a dragon fruit?
The apple-sized fruit does not require burning candles at both ends before making it ready to eat.
It is possible to cut it differently to enjoy multiple dishes from it. Make a lemon juice sprinkled salad or a smoothie bowl.
Let’s start the cutting process with some preparatory operations. Remember to wash the fruit thoroughly before making it edible.
The dragon fruit skin is effortless to remove. Just wash the fruit and peel off its skin.
Cutting the dragon fruit
Here are a few steps you must follow when you are going to cut this fleshy fruit. These are:
- Take a sharp knife and cut it with a solid grip.
- Slice the fruit to get lengthwise pieces or cut it into two halves
- Take the flesh out by scooping it
- You can take out the seeds or leave them in the flesh, as they are edible
Three methods of cutting the dragon fruit
Here are the three most simple yet practical methods to cut dragon fruit
Cutting from middle
- Slicing dragon fruit into halves is like walking in the park. Follow these steps:
- Take a sharp knife and place the fruit on the cutting board.
- Cut the fruit lengthwise by a single action from the stem after leaving the skin intact.
- The white edible part will be visible to you.
- Take a spoon, place it between pink skin and white inner, and separate the skin from white flesh.
- Here one can enjoy small chops by cutting them into small cubes or smaller pieces
- Do not separate the black seeds, as they are edible
Cutting fruit into cubes
- In this method, you have first to peel off the skin
- Locate the woody stem (top part) and peel off the skin (the skin will open around it easily) just like you do with bananas, oranges, etc
- Take the white flesh and cut it into chops
- Another way is to cut into quarters and then peel off the skin (it may become laborious as you have to deal with quarter pieces)
- Enjoy the fruit pieces in the salad
Cutting fruit quarterly
- Take a cutting board and place dragon fruit on it
- Cut the fruit in a vertical direction and then cut two pieces horizontally to have four equal parts.
- Remove the skin and enjoy its edible flesh.
When to eat a dragon fruit
It is best to eat dragon fruit when it is fully ripened. Two signs can check the ripening of fruit.
- If the color of the fruit is bright, it means it is fully ripened. If you have green-skinned fruit, it is unripened. Do not cut it.
- Another sign is the bending of the stem. The stem of ripened fruit will bend without breaking when you touch it.
How to eat dragon fruit
There are many ways to eat this unique yet delicious fruit.
- The simplest way is taking out the flesh with a spoon and eating it as a snack.
- Make small cubes with seeds and eat with a fork.
- Another way is adding it to dishes like fruit salad, smoothies, refreshing drinks, and desserts. It tastes like kiwi; that’s why the best alternative of kiwi.
- One can enjoy it raw or with added flavors.
- Also, freeze the cut pieces without skin for one to two hours and then eat them. It will add some extra crunch and refreshing flavor.
Storing a dragon fruit
You can store the cut pieces easily in an airtight box in the refrigerator for one day. It can last up to three months in a frozen state if you like.
What is the taste of dragon fruit?
In fully ripening form, the dragon fruit has a mildly sweet flavor like a ripened kiwi.
Is it ok to eat dragon fruit daily?
There is no limit on its usage as it is safe to eat daily. It is low in calories and full of nutrients and vitamins.
Which dragon fruit is better white or red?
Though both are beneficial for health. But, studies reveal that red dragon fruit has more antioxidants comparatively.
Can I drink water after dragon fruit?
Drinking water after having fruits hampers the absorption and digestion process in the stomach which in turn leads to acidity. Avoid having water for at least an hour after eating fruits to avoid any nastiness.
Can I feed dragon fruit to my dog?
Dogs love the taste of dragon fruit. You can feed dragon fruit to dogs occasionally in moderation as high sugar and fiber content can lead to an upset stomach if given in excess.
- Dragon fruit has its aesthetic value inside and out. No one can deny the health benefits it provides to the consumer.
- Enriched with fiber and nutrients, it boosts the immune system against chronic diseases and provides essential vitamins and minerals.
- It is rich in water and its black crunchy seeds are laxative and also a natural remedy to treat constipation.
- This amazing fruit is full of antioxidants that make your skin looks younger and slows down the aging process.
- It is the best vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium, and magnesium source. It is straightforward to eat.
You must follow any of the above methods for cutting and enjoy it while watching your favorite serial.
Note: Dragon Fruit is full of magnesium so adding it to your diet will improve sleeping problems as low magnesium results insomnia.