Do you know that the global value of the affiliate marketing industry is an estimated $12 billion?
Table of Contents
| It is also estimated that affiliate marketing is expected to grow up to 10% over the next few years making it profitable for bloggers, content creators, and influencers. |
Affiliate marketers are human too, they make mistakes. The funny thing is they don’t realize it for a long time.
This guide explains 7 affiliate marketing mistakes to inform you not to repeat them over and over again.
1. Choosing the wrong products
Most aspiring affiliate marketers select products based on hefty commissions.
- They choose products that never define their niche.
- It is right to say that choosing products based on your preferred niche inspires one to create more content and hone one’s skill in the specific niche.
To be honest, you must be excited, and passionate about the products you’ll be promoting.
The best advice— choose affiliate programs based on your niche.
- For instance, if you have a passion for animals, you can select programs such as Zooplus or Petco.
2. Promoting too many products
No matter how excited you’re about the niche, you should avoid promoting hundreds of products.
- Trying to sell too many products is actually time-consuming and reduces the quality of the promotion.
- Also, it gives the visitors a negative impression, eventually decreasing sales.
- Remember the rule ‘quality over quantity.
- Select a few best products and put all your focus on them.
It will give you enough time to conduct thorough research, and understand the products and experiments.
3. Thorough understanding of the product
Knowing the product in detail is critical for an affiliate marketer.
How can you sell a product to someone if you’re not confident about how it works?
- Due to your lack of insight into the product, no one will come forward to buy the product.
- The right way is to test the products on yourself before recommending others.
You can also subscribe to niche-related blogs, and forums or use Google Alerts to keep track of the industry news.
| To find customers’ queries, you can head over to Quora or Reddit to find out what questions people are asking about your niche. Always prioritizes customer satisfaction rather than hefty commissions. |
Start small if you’re taking the pill to promote dozens of products.
- Give adequate amounts of attention and care to each product. It is best to have a proper database management system.
It can aid you to track the performance of each promoted product and get an idea of the product that brings maximum revenue for you.
4. Avoid a salsy attitude
Being an affiliate marketer, your focus should not be on the number of sales/conversions.
| You should keep focused on creating high-value content. Talking about blogging, your writings must be around the reader’s intent and prioritize them. |
- You must focus on illustrating the benefits rather than the features.
- Try to add minimum friction.
- For more commissions, marketers use banner ads here and there.
To be real, they carry low returns, and the visitors often.
- You can apply different outbound sales tactics including banner ads or pop-ups.
Each outbound sales tactic has its downfalls. It is up to you how you choose them keeping user friction in mind.
5. Publishing low-quality content
Content is your asset to garner the attention of targeted audiences.
Take enough time to produce high-value content that is credible and authentic.
| Most affiliate marketers think that a single post will perform well among ten mediocre posts and drive sales. Well, it rarely happens. |
- From an SEO standpoint, you need to consider whether the topic is feasible for ranking.
Ask yourself the followings questions:
# How many root domain backlinks hold your competitors?
You can use tools like Mozbar to check the backlinks of your competitors.
# What’s the word count of the top-ranking pages?
The average first-page result is 1890 words. It is imperative to exceed the word count for ranking.
# Do top-ranking pages hold images or videos?
Posts that have a single image perform better than those that don’t have any. It is good to add high-quality, relevant images for better ranking.
Current users have shorter attention spans. Therefore, you should not neglect the readability of the content.
Try to avoid complex words, and use the right font size for better mobile optimization.
| Read: What Is Digital Marketing?
Tips for better readability
- Use short sentences. Studies show that 25+ words in a sentence become difficult for people to read.
- Paragraphs must come between 4-5 sentences.
- Consider 7-8 grades readability level.
- Use tools like Hemingway to check readability scores.
After you publish the content, you have to share the guide on social media networks or send it to your email list. You can also reach out to other niche bloggers for links to your guide.
6. Not utilizing evergreen content
Evergreen contents are those that hold a consistent volume of search queries for a longer period or throughout the year.
Trending topics are good for instant sales. You need to consider evergreen content too especially for long-term value though it is quite difficult to rank them.
The best combination is having both well-balanced.
7. Ignoring the possibility of SEO
You must have hands-on SEO basics such as keyword research, link building, and so on.
You need to know how to optimize title tags and meta descriptions. Make sure you add a compelling title and meta description that resonates with the readers and increase click-through rates.
For easier optimization, you can take advantage of different plugins such as Yoast, and Rankmath (if you’re a WordPress user).
You must not overlook external and internal links that clearly define the credibility and authority of the site’s content.
The best way to add internal links is to skim throughout the post and identify gaps to link to other relevant pages.
- Affiliate marketing is constantly evolving. So better you must pace up with time.
- Most affiliate marketers think that they are entirely informed on how it works.
- To say it right, affiliate marketing requires a lot of industry knowledge, patience, and proper content strategy to make the most sales.